Coherent Inc. (NASDAQ: COHR) stock price increased by 150% in 2018, mainly because of
Coherent Inc. (NASDAQ: COHR) stock price increased from $106 at the end of 2018 to around $266 currently, mainly because of its P/S multiple's improvement.
Coherent Inc (NASDAQ: COHR) stock price has risen more than 2.5x from $106 in 2018 end, to around $266 currently, primarily due to favorable changes in its P&S multiple.The company, a manufacturer of laser components and equipment, actually witnessed a drop in revenue per share over this period, due to a drop in sales and an increase in the outstanding share count.Despite this, the stock managed to outperform the S&P that rose only slightly over 50% over this period.
In our interactive dashboard, Why Coherent Stock Moved: we break down the factors behind this move in our interactive dashboard.
In FY 2018, Coherent's Total Revenue was $1.9 billion. That number has since fallen to $1.5 billion
- Coherent's total revenue dropped from $1.9 billion in FY '18 to $1.2 billion in FY '20 (COHR's fiscal year ends in September) but has since recovered and is now slightly higher, around $1.5 billion.
- Coherent’s laser source sales accounted for 60% of its total revenue in fiscal year ’21, with $914 million worth of products sold.
- The Industrial lasers and systems segment, which accounts for 40% of revenues, brought in $574 million as of FY '21.
- See Coherent Revenue Comparison for details about Coherent's revenues and how they compare to its peers.
As of the end of FY '18, the company's EPS was $77.45; it is currently $62.28
- As of the end of FY '18, COHR's revenue was $1.9 billion; since then, it has fallen to $1.5 billion while the outstanding share count is up by a slight amount from 24.6 million to 24.8 million (currently).
- As a result of this, RPS has decreased from $77.45 in FY '18 to $62.28 currently.
In 2018, Coherent's P/S multiple increased from 1.4x to 4.5x, but it has since retreated to 4.3x as of the end of 2019, which is still over 3 times higher than its 2018 level
- In the period following the end of 2018, COHR's price-to-sales ratio rose sharply from 1.4x to as high as 4.5x by late 2021, thanks to its outstanding performance.
- The P/S multiple has fallen back to around 4.3x, still 3x higher than in 2018, due to the economic uncertainty that is affecting the broader markets.
- For more information about the company stock returns and comparisons to peers, see Coherent Stock Return Comparison.
If you want a more balanced portfolio, our high quality &